Hit enter to search or ESC to close

Marine insurance

iStock 615426940marine1 v6

Marine hull and liability insurance

Marine hull and liability insurance covers damage or loss to the vessel, including its machinery and equipment, as well as legal liability to any third party that arises from negligence related to the vessel’s operations or the actions of its masters or crew.

With our extensive experience in marine hull and liability insurance, our specialists can give you expert advice and guidance on getting the best cover for your financial risks.

Who needs marine hull and liability insurance?

Marine hull and liability insurance is necessary if:

  • You own or operate a shipping company
  • You own a fleet: more than one yacht
  • You owner of a water sports company with a number of water-going vessels
  • You have loans on your vessels
  • You run tugs and work boats
  • You operate ferries

What marine hull and liability insurance covers

Marine hull insurance covers accidental loss or damage to boats used for commercial purposes, and includes salvage costs, and third party liability cover

  • Vessels insurance covers accidental loss or damage to the vessel anywhere in the agreed navigational limits set by the policyValuation and a survey of the vessel is usually required for this insurance and an agreed value reached. The experience of the skipper is an important factor in rating the insurance.

  • Liability (or Protection and Indemnity) insurance can be underwritten as an extension to the hull insurance or as a stand-alone cover. The limits selected for liability will vary based on vessel type, use and territorial limits. t should be sufficient to cover cargo liability, salvage or removal of wreck costs, pollution risk and specific crew/passenger related liabilities.

  • Ship repairers liability can cover the legal liability Ship repairers face for loss and damage occurring while a vessel or craft is in their care, custody or control.  It also applies when a vessel is being moved within the limits of the port where work is being done and while in transit to or from a specialist repairer or manufacturers’ premises.    

  • Ship Builders Risk protects vessels under construction or conversion; cover is provided against all risks of physical loss or physical damage. Also allows for launching, sea trials & liabilities arising out of the build.

Help with marine insurance

We have brokers with extensive experience in marine insurance and understand what’s needed to support you at claims time. We offer protection for a range of marine risks including marine cargo insurance  cover and marine carrier’s liability insurance.


Need to talk?

Call us now
0800 276 624

Find a broker